27.8.08

Catching Up

Now that I seem to be overwhelmed with time (since the Border Agency is working at a snail's pace) I should post about what's been happening in my little corner of the world...

It's been 14 weeks since I've applied for my HSMP visa. The UK Border Agency website says it takes 5 to 14 weeks...but also says they're just now processing applications received 19 weeks ago. Looks like I have ANOTHER five weeks to go, just for a decision. (And according to my online obsession, trackitt.com - a forum website for other like immigrants to share their stories, problems, suggestions, etc- a lot of Americans are getting denied.) I've submitted additional paperwork twice now, and just hoping that everything goes as well as Ben believes it will! ;)

Secondly, since I seem to have quite a bit of time left before my visa comes through, I decided to get a job. While being unemployed had it's benefits, I was mostly just bored and frustrated with waiting on a visa decision. Getting a job wasn't a problem, once I put my heart into it I had two interviews on the same day, and a resulting tough decision on which one I wanted more, but gave me great negotiating leverage! Happy to say that I'm a Senior Instructional Designer for Safeco (a NW-based insurance company, Mariner's fans know who I'm talking about). I've only just started, but so far seems to be going better than that last tribulation! Oddly enough, I'm working with an ex-WY co-worker, who's been working there for a few weeks; it's been nice having someone to show me the ropes so to speak. I'm located in one of those big-city high-rises in downtown Seattle (sadly I'm only on the 2nd floor), and I've been utilizing Issaquah's brand new transit center, and riding the bus in and out of the city every day. This week has been rough, who carries cash and coins anymore? Enough exact change for every morning and afternoon ride?? I had to get creative this evening and wait until after 6 to go home (when bus fares are non-peak, and are 75¢ cheaper. I have a wallet of $5 bills, but I didn't have singles for the $2.25 bus fare!) I'm getting a September PugetPass so hopefully it won't be a problem anymore.

And of course, if you've talked to me at all in the last few months you'll know all about the Cabin project my sister and I are knees deep in. We inherited my grandmother's cabin in 2004, but only recently decided that it was time to put it on the market. Only we didn't realize just how much work it needed to get it ready to sell. Practically every weekend (and weekdays when I didn't have a job) has been spent at the cabin; repairing, priming, painting, cleaning, painting, taping, sanding, painting, replacing everything. Interior painting is done and new flooring has been ordered, so I'm hoping we're nearing the end of a very long summer project.

So that's about it! Add in missing my boyfriend, that's pretty much all I've been up to lately!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Happy to see you blogging again! :)