14.10.06

Ich habe einen großen Fehler gemacht!!

For some reason, which still escapes me today, I agreed to join my German friends on a tour of Oslo's City Hall this past Thursday. Sounds like fun, why wouldn't I join? Oh cause it's all in GERMAN! Guess the German teacher at BI also works as a tour guide at the Radhaus, so he offered the German community of BI students an exclusive, after-hours tour of the historic landmark. I understood: Guten Abend, ich bin...and then I was lost. I could pick up years and bits and pieces but for the most part- it is way to apparent to me that it's been over 8 years since my last German lesson...but it was fun cause I got to hang out with my friends :)

After the city hall tour, we went out to a club - Stravinsky - for a GSS sponsored mid-semester party. Can't even believe I'm half way through my European stay! It has FLOWN right by! The bar itself was kinda lame, but again, much fun was had by drinking and hanging out with friends. Of course I stayed way too late and by the time I got home and finished packing (for Milan) it was well after 2 am. And I only had 5 hours until I had a train to catch!

The train ride was quiet, I picked a semi-empty car in Oslo, and it just kept getting more and more empty. By the time I got to Sandefjord (the discount airlines fly out of Oslo's secondary airport) it was me and a guy from France, who was also in search for Torp. Found our way to the bus station and since we didn't know what we were doing- we got on the 172 bus (which is the right one - but it was just going in the wrong direction!) Luckily for us though- it just made a big loop of the town - which by the way was LESS than exciting...it could rival Kristiansund on an off-season Sunday afternoon! Made it to the airport and was way overwhelmed...swarms of grumpy people standing around yelling in Norwegian. (THIS is why you go to Norwegian class!)

Luckily I didn't have to stand in THAT line- and I checked in and sat down and was pleasantly surprised with FREE internet! Of course, this being Europe and all, NO power outlets anywhere- so I only had about an hour or so of entertainment- which I thought would be fine, my flight was to take off in 45 minutes...but then I realized the reason for the angry people- FOG. Lots of it, resulting in lots of cancelled flights...A brief moment of panic entered my head since my friends were scheduled to pick me up in Milan in only 2.5 hours- and of course- none of us have phones! Luckily for me, my flight was the first one of the day to leave as scheduled, but unluckily for me- all the other flights to Italy they cancelled this morning, they put on my flight- so I'm looking forward to a BOOKED flight- but it's only 2 hours and I have visions of Italy to keep me in good spirits!

I'll write again soon- probably after I return from my 12 day Italian Vacation!

No comments: