10.9.06

Exactly HOW MANY classes did I sign up for?

I barely made it back from Gøteborg in time for my Norwegian class. Since I'll be living in Oslo for the next few months and I would like to avoid situations where I'm not sure what I'm eating or where I'm going, I thought it would be helpful to take a Norwegian Language course. After my first class on Monday, I did not think it was "helpful". First off, in a class of 40 people, 38 are from Germanic speaking countries, one guy from the UK, and me. Its going to be a challenge for me - luckily I have some experience with German, but nothing in comparison...

Bright and early Tuesday morning I had Corporate Responsibility. I like Tuesdays, I'm done with school by 11 am so I have the whole rest of the day free to do whatever I want. Since Tuesday was a beautiful day I decided on a walk and Christoffer needed to train for his running so we decided to exercise together. Since he runs and I just walk, I told him to go ahead and we'd meet at the "lake". His definition of a lake and mine are completely different...and we had some differences in how far away the lake was - he was thinking km, I was thinking miles. So needless to say when I got to the "lake" I didn't think I had gone far enough so I kept walking, and got lost, so I had to keep walking. About an hour later I finally found Christoffer - looking for me! Oh well- it was nice outside and the walk was good :) After the walk, I met with my friends to finalize our weekend plans for Geiranger.

Wednesday, I woke up SORE - too much walking on Tuesday! I didn't have to get up too early, class stated at 11 am; The International Firm. The teacher was pretty funny- she actually quoted Friends! This is my kind of class! Then I went shopping with Katja downtown so she could buy a jacket for our trip, then back to school for my second Norwegian class. This one was much better- I wouldn't say "good" but better.

On Thursday I had classes ALL day! Started off early at 8 am: International Business Context and Development. Our teacher was a little off, and again I'm the lone American, but I met a girl from Vancouver :). Immediately following, I had Global Politics at 11 am. This is NOT the class to have and be the lone American! It was actually a pretty decent class- the teacher is British and has so much passion and energy about global political history. I think it'll be a lot of work, but I definitely will learn something! I was supposed to go to Corporate Responsibility in the evening, but I skipped and headed downtown with Karin to see Joseph Nye - an American professor at Harvard, founder of Neoliberalism, who happened to be giving a free speech in Oslo that evening. I guess it was kinda interesting (although I DID fall asleep), but for being a Kerry supporter in 2004, I didn't get that he was a Democrat at all! Karin seemed to enjoy it and even asked a question. I felt he was just too complimentary to current government stances on several hot-button topics. Anyway :) I had to get home to pack for our weekend trip!

I'm looking forward to the weekend, but a little nervous about going on an 8-hour drive with 5 Europeans...Should be a fun and crazy weekend!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Damn, can I just say that your life sounds likes so much fun. Glad you're enjoying yourself and keeping up with the posts! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time, and certainly much more interesting than some Managerial Economics course! So when do we get another update on your travels?

I hope you have a blast in Copenhagen! Take care, stay warm, make lots of friends.